Idea storage

Thursday, June 30, 2005

E-mail that I'm sending to philosophy and law professor Brian Leiter

This is a person whose credentials and views expressed in his blog I admire. If I was smarter I might be doing exactly what he's doing (not that I'm not happy doing what I do now). I've discussed his popular and insightful blog in at least one other post. I'm not expecting a response but I just thought I'd let him know my surprise. Here's the link to the post that I'm responding to. Here's the e-mail I sent him. Am I crazy?
Subject: Your upcoming writing projects mentioned in blog

Dear Mr. Leiter:

You're meaning to tell me that you intend to make the claim that evolutionary biology is irrelevant to law? That I gotta see! I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now and thought I understood you but now you've thrown me for a loop ...
I don't read Nietzsche any other way than as treating man as as an animal. Why wouldn't man's animalistic behaviors (with law being among the most distinctive) be subject to the "laws" of evolution? Sure, there is a valid critique of those who would misapply the theory of evolution in an effort to solve legal problems, but it doesn't follow that the theory of evolution is "irrelevant." I'll be very curious how you support your claim. If asked to make that argument, I wouldn't even know where to start.
Why don't you just work it all out on the blog?




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home