Idea storage

Monday, July 25, 2005

Court appointed lawyer fees

Here's a post from Carolyn Elefant at the My Shingle blog. She's critical of Mass. court appointed counsel who have been complaining rates. This is what she says:

Court appointed lawyers can't expect a guaranteed stream of revenue at private rates. It's a trade off. If lawyers want the security of a flow of cases for which they don't have to advertise or market, then they can settle for court appointed work at a lower rate. If they want to make more, then they need to go out and find the clients who are going to pay - and stop asking the captive ones to fork up even more money.

And as I've always said, court appointed work is interesting and a good way to pay the rent early on or even a way to do work that's got a pro bono element without working entirely for free. But if you want to step up to a successful practice, your plan has got to include weaning yourself from court appointed work. After all, why limit yourself to $84,000 a year when you could possibly make ten times that much?

Of course, being a public defender for my entire professional career thusfar, I'm biased on this subject. I see her point but what she doesn't acknowledge is an inherent tension that will arise when a person carries a mixed caseload of court appointed work and retained work that pays at a higher rate. Which clients are going to get the more effective representation?

8 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn Elefant said...

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your post. You raise a good point. However, I think that in the long run, a balanced caseload with higher paying cases allow lawyers to effectively subsidize lower paying ones. When I started my practice, I did court appointed work to gain experience. I was able to continue cases when it worked to my client's advantage or research motions really well without worrying whether the court would cut a few hours because I was making enough from my energy regulatory clients. I often felt that some of my colleagues who were living on court appointed work felt pressure to resolve cases quickly and move on and while they certainly did an effective job, perhaps could have done better had those cost constraints not been there.

5:58 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

It is good. It will lessen the tension and pressure from the mind of lawyers and will help them to work more relaxed.


Personal Injury attorney Houston

2:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, i am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited and happy to say that the webmaster has done a very good job.

Personal Injury Attorney Houston

6:26 AM

 
Blogger darrell moddy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:09 AM

 
Blogger darrell moddy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:09 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I found your blog when I was looking for a different sort of information but I was very happy and glad to read through your blog. The information available here is great.
Office gifts

2:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you had some way of rating posts I would for sure give you a high rating my friend!

frisbees

11:45 AM

 
Blogger hayda said...

That is very good comment you shared.Thank you so much that for you shared those things with us.Im wishing you to carry on with ur achivments.All the best.
chat

4:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home